Peter Loso was main settlers to arrive to the St. Joseph area and founded the German negotiation in August, 1854. He stated section 9-10 which the Community of Saint Joseph was platted. Numerous others soon followed and the Township was sorted out in 1858 covering 81 square a long way. Formerly called Clinton, St. Joseph attained its current name in 1870. Many settlers emerged for the land, with its fertile soils, and the opportunities America provided.
The settlers built many businesses and homes and eventually the Town was included in 1890. As the township grew, so have the needs of its individuals, and the concerns of the lawmakers. As part of their plan in the 1890's, they decided to construct a jail, install a open public well, build and repair solid wood sidewalks, and established liquor licenses at $500 each. Fires were also a difficulty and around 1885 the Hook and Ladder Co. No. 1 was sorted out, which is currently the St. Joseph Flames Dept.
By the early 1900's St. Joseph was thriving with around 600 residents. Farming was starting to support the families after multiple many years of hardship due website to the severe winters and the grasshopper plague of 1856. The milking machine became available in 1905 reducing enough time to milk cows so more time could be spent on crops and pet animal care. Immediately after, World more info Battle 1 required many farmers to leave their homes to fight.
After the warfare ended people were in a position to get their lives back again on track, at least for some time, before the stock market crash in 1929. Also, at the moment, prohibition was in effect so lots of the farmers turned to making moonshine, which slightly reduced the hardships of the market crash. With all the depression effecting every person in town, the city needed to stick together as part of your. Through a federal offer, the Council was able to hire the jobless to help clean and keep maintaining the Village.
On December 7, 1941 japan bombed Pearl Harbor which officially came into the united states into World Battle 2. Rationing tokens received out because so many items were in short supply. In those days St. Joseph had a society of around 1050, shedding 10 heroic military to the war. The community remained strong and ongoing to increase the Village, adding a drinking water tower in 1949, plus a new Community well. In 1959, St. Joseph began fluoridating its drinking water supply, and persists to do so.